RM: Post-Atleti Comments (4.11.12)
Karanka: “The outcome of the league has not been decided. We’ve been saying this for a long time. We know who we are & where we stand. We said this two months ago when some people believed we could be greeted as champions at this stage, & we said it again three days ago when everyone thought we would lose. We’ve always been confident. We must continue working hard, fighting & believing in ourselves.”
Cristiano: “The team is in good form, confident & ready for its next game. I’ve been one booking short of a suspension for two months, but I’m behaving myself.” [videos: English / Spanish]
Callejón: “I always try to do my best. I’ve supported Real Madrid since I was a kid, & I always will.” [video: Spanish]
Alonso: “My booking was circumstantial. These things happen in a match, & I was reaching my limit.” [video: Spanish]
Ramos: "Taking three points was vital after drawing against Valencia. A team like Real Madrid lives with pressure, but we know how to withstand it and we have to be ready for everything. Each match is a matter of life and death. We earned an important victory tonight. Everything turned out well and we’re calm." [videos: English / Spanish]
Man of the Match: Cristiano Ronaldo
[photo credit: Reuters]
Photo gallery / In Case You Missed It / Video highlights / Match gifs
- Pepe celebrated his 150th official appearance with the club Wednesday night.
- Cristiano Ronaldo became the 1st player to score 40 goals in consecutive seasons in the history of Europe’s top 4 leagues (Spain, England, Italy, Germany).
- Real Madrid is the 1st club to score 2,000 away goals in the Spanish league.
- Sergio Canales, who is on loan to Valencia, made his return to the pitch after a long recovery from a knee injury back in October. In less than 10 minutes on the field, he assisted a goal (88’) against Rayo.
- Yellow cards: Xabi Alonso will miss the Sporting match because of accumulation. Cristiano Ronaldo, Ángel di María & Fábio Coentrão are both 1 card away from missing the next league match.
- Injury report: Marcelo did not suit up because of back pain.
- The team will hold training at noon today.
- Upcoming matches: 4.14, 8 pm CET vs Sporting Gijón; 4.17, 8:45 pm CET at Bayern Munich; 4.21, 8 pm CET at Barcelona.