“There are two strikers and we both play every other game. I’m not playing every week, and I play football to be involved in every match. I’m happy when I finish the 90 minutes, just like everyone else. If I play 60 minutes and score but hardly touch the ball, I don’t go home happy.”
“I don’t doubt myself and my goals will come. You always have tricky patches in your career and I’ve been going through one, but I’m finding my feet and I feel fantastic. There is always criticism in France, but I know that comes with my status”. — Karim Benzema [region locked video | alternate]
He was definitely limping.
Real Madrid on International Duty - Goals (October 11-12, 2012)
Real Madrid on International Duty - Goals | Part I (September 7, 2012)
- Slovakia vs. France (U-21) - Varane (4’)
- Germany vs. Faroe Islands - Özil (54’) | Özil (71’)
International Call-Ups for September
Sixteen players will be traveling with their respective countries for international duty in September. Links from the countries’ federations are provided.
Argentina: Ángel di María and Gonzalo Higuaín
- World Cup Qualifiers: Sep. 7 - Paraguay | Sep. 11 - Peru
- Friendlies: Sep. 7 - South Africa | Sep. 10 - China
- World Cup Qualifiers: Sep. 7 - Macedonia | Sep. 11 - Belgium
France: Karim Benzema and Raphaël Varane (U-21)
- World Cup Qualifiers: Sep. 7 - Finland | Sep. 11 - Belarus
- U-21 Championship Qualifier: Sep. 7 - Slovakia
Germany: Sami Khedira and Mesut Özil
- World Cup Qualifiers: Sep. 7 - Faroe Islands | Sep. 11 - Austria
Portugal: Fábio Coentrão, Pepe, Cristiano Ronaldo
- World Cup Qualifiers: Sep. 7 - Luxembourg | Sep. 11 - Azerbaijan
Spain: Xabi Alonso, Raúl Albiol, Álvaro Arbeloa, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos
- Friendly, World Cup Qualifier: Sep. 7 - Saudi Arabia | Sep. 11 - Georgia
Where to Watch: International Friendlies - August 15, 2012
Austria vs. Turkey - 8:30 PM Central European / 2:30 PM Eastern
Germany vs. Argentina - 8:45 PM Central European / 2:45 PM Eastern
- in the U.S. - ESPN2, ESPN3, Telefutura
France vs. Uruguay - 9 PM Central European / 3 PM Eastern
- in the U.S. - ESPN3, Univision Deportes
Portugal vs. Panama - 10 PM Central European / 4 PM Eastern
- in the U.S. - RTP Internacional
Puerto Rico vs. Spain - 10:30 PM Central European / 4:30 PM Eastern
- in the U.S. - ESPN Deportes, ESPN3
Real Madrid on International Duty
The federations for France, Spain, Argentina, Turkey, Germany and Portugal have released the final call-ups for their respective friendlies on August 15th. Real Madrid will have 15 players representing those six nations.
It is worth mentioning that 19-year-old Raphaël Varane has for the first time been called up for France’s senior team. Also, Brazil will be without Marcelo due to suspension. He was involved in an altercation with Argentina’s Pocho Lavezzi.
Players by country
- Argentina - Di María, Higuaín
- France - Benzema, Varane
- Germany - Khedira, Özil
- Portugal - Coentrão, Pepe, Ronaldo
- Spain - Albiol, Alonso, Arbeloa, Casillas, Ramos
- Turkey - Sahin
When we see each other, I’m sure he’ll crack a few jokes. He’s got a great sense of humor. A lot of people don’t know that.
Iker Casillas on Karim Benzema
As for Karim, what can I say? He has practically everything. He comes short for the ball, he can hold it up with his back to goal, he combines with team-mates, he can move beyond the defence, lose his marker, he can shoot with both feet, dribble, he’s very complete. Technically, we could see from the very first day that he was out of the ordinary. You could see that in every session. What’s changed is the mentality.
He reads the game very well. He doesn’t mind playing a pass rather than taking the shot if that’s the better option, he reads other people’s movement, combines. It’s not just that he is technically very gifted, it’s that he sees the game so well. And for a No9 that’s unusual. He’s one of the best strikers in the world.
Álvaro Arbeloa, heaping on praise for Karim Benzema
Karim Benzema training yesterday #allbenzema