April 13, 2013
Karanka press conference - (video)
- thoughts on the SF draw: “Dortmund is the team against which we couldn’t win this season, so, again, anybody who thinks this is going to be easy and takes it for granted that we will play the final is pretty wrong.”
- the possibility of Casillas starting since San Mamés is where he debuted and this will be the last time the club will play there: “I think San Mamés is special for any player. Of course, it’s even more special to Iker, because he made his debut there, but it’s special to everybody —to me, to Xabi Alonso who comes from Real Sociedad, to Sergio Ramos who played hundreds of times there… I can’t tell you whether he’ll play or not, because the players haven’t been told yet and it’s only fair that they find out first.”
- his future, should Mourinho decide to leave: “I’ve answered that question several times. I’ve been working alongside this coach and technical staff for two years and a half, almost three years. I’ve been learning and enjoying more and more day after day, despite the fact that it might look otherwise or that a lot of people try to promote that idea. I’m delighted to work with a coach who is respected internationally by the best football professionals —players, managers, coaches. I am proud to say that I have 5 more friends. And when this comes to an end, whether it is this year, next year or in ten years time, I’ll make a decision.”
Call-ups (20 players)
- Keepers: Casillas, Adán, López
- Defenders: Albiol, Carvalho, Coentrão, Marcelo, Nacho, Pepe, Ramos, Varane
- Midfielders: Alonso, Callejón, Di María, Khedira, Modrić
- Forwards: Benzema, Higuaín, Morata, Ronaldo
Arrival in Bilbao (video) | Autographs (Benzema and Varane)
Injury update: Karanka mentioned that 4 players were injured or ill — Kaká (discomfort in an unspecified location), Özil (ill), Essien (hamstring), Arbeloa (back).
Next match: Athletic Bilbao vs. Real Madrid - Sunday, 9 PM CEST | 3 PM EST
Real Madrid 2012/2013: El Gato Is Back
Monday’s solo session marked Karim Benzema’s return to the fold. The French striker had approximately one month off since the end of his Euro 2012 run.
Monday’s session kicked off the second week of training & the last before heading to Oviedo for tomorrow’s friendly match. Twenty-one outfielders worked with Mourinho in a physical session, incorporating circuits where the pace & effort increased gradually. Louro supervised the three keepers. The next training is scheduled for Wednesday at 5:30 pm CEST.
In other news. Earlier in the day, Kaká & Mourinho met at the Bernabéu, presumably to discuss the Brazilian’s status with the club.
On Friday Mourinho will receive an award from the Association of Sports Journalists of Portugual (CNID). The event will take place in Lisbon.
The €200 million Bernabéu remodeling project is moving forward. The city’s planning commission has given the OK to present the project at the next session. Architects have until September 17 to submit proposals for the complete revamping of the stadium.
- Tuesday, July 24 - Real Oviedo | 7:45 pm CEST / 1:45 pm EDT
- Friday, July 27 - Eusébio Cup - Benfica | 8:45 pm CEST / 2:45 pm EDT
- Photo gallery: training - 1 2
- Videos: training - 1 2 3 4
Real Madrid 2012/2013: Day Two
José Mourinho again supervised the squad’s two-a-day sessions. The morning’s training began with a 15-minute window open to the press. Rui Faria was on hand to lead the 22 players in warmups then sprints. Players ended the session pairing up in resistance training.
Following the session was Gonzalo Higuaín’s press conference. According to Cuatro, the last player to give one was José Callejón during last season’s Champions League. In response to Sandro Rosell’s statement about La Liga’s “strange season”, the striker replied, “100 points, 121 goals, victory in the Camp Nou - yeah, it was a strange season, but a spectacular one for us.”
In addition to his favorable comments about rumored signing Luka Modric, Higuaín also gave his thoughts on what to expect from him this campaign. ”I’m stubborn and don’t like to give in. I’ll fight for my place, which is what I’ve done since my first season here.“
The evening training focused more on tactics & ball work. The final exercise was a game in which Aitor Karanka participated. Those vested in blue won 2-1, with goals coming from Kaká & Gonzalo Higuaín.
For the second day, Ricardo Cavalho was absent from practice; Fernando Gago also failed to make an appearance. A closed training resumes Wednesday at 5:30. There will be no press conference.
In other news. The RFEF announced that the second leg of the Supercopa is moving up a day (August 29). Both legs will kick off at 10:30 pm CEST.
via Four Four Two -
“UEFA have asked the Spanish federation (RFEF) to change the date for the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup, from August 30th to the 29th,” the RFEF said in a statement on Tuesday.
“So that it does not coincide with the gala put on by European football’s governing body in Monaco.”
There are conflicting reports on the return of the Euro 2012 players. In conflict with Marca’s published dates, El Mundo & Europa Press report that Karim Benzema will appear at Valdebebas on July 23 & the remaining players on July 28.
José Mourinho has added another member to his technical staff. Luis Campos is a former coach & TV commentator who has joined Real Madrid as club scout.
Photo credits: Getty Images / Agencia LOF / Jesús Aguilera
Club legend Raúl González stopped by Valdebebas Wednedsay. Álvaro Morata was sure to capture the moment with his “idol”.
Photo gallery: training - morning / evening
Videos: morning training - English | Spanish / presser English | Spanish
Barça/RM CdR Gifs: Pt. 1
A year ago on this day, we won the Copa del Rey. So let’s reminisce.
Kaká: the one no one can dislike.
Real Betís vs Real Madrid (3.10.12) - Cristiano’s 2nd goal (73’)
- This was the first time he has scored two goals with his left foot in one game. [via Dan Thomas of ESPN]
Zac Efron at the Bernabéu, 3.8.12 (in Spanish). [English]