Training | April 13, 2014
The big news of the day was the return of Sami Khedira. He made his first group training appearance since undergoing ACL surgery back in November. Both Marcelo and Sergio Ramos worked out individually on the practice pitch. Absent were Jesé, Arbeloa and Ronaldo, who are all recovering from injury.
- Benzema has overtaken Zidane as the Frenchman with the most official RM appearances (228).
- Wednesday’s Copa del Rey final will be the 7th between Real Madrid and Barcelona. Each side has won 3 a piece.
- According to Bild, RM sold 1.4 million replica shirts in 2013. Over 1 million of them belong to Cristiano Ronaldo, just under the number of Barcelona shirts combined (1.15 million).
- López puts to rest rumors about a move away from the club: “I have three years left on my contract and unless they kick me out –just joking, by the way -, I’m staying.”
- General public tickets for the UCL SF tie range from €70-900.
- AS reports that Ancelotti will have the entire team travel to Valencia Tuesday evening for the Copa final, including those injured. The only exception may be Jesé, who will need permission from his doctors.
Real Madrid 4-0 Almería (April 12, 2014) | La Liga, MD 33
- Di María - 28’ (Nacho assist)
- Bale - 53’ (Benzema assist)
- Isco 56’ (Benzema assist)
- Morata - 85’ (Illarra assist)
- Injury update: Despite Ramos’ neck/shoulder problem, Ancelotti believes he will be OK for the Copa final. However, Marcelo is likely ruled out.
- With 94 goals, Real Madrid is the top scoring club in Europe’s top leagues.
- López picks up his 15th league game without a conceded goal.
Next training: Sunday, 11 AM CEST
Next match: Copa del Rey vs Barcelona - Wednesday, 9:30 PM CEST | 3:30 PM EDT
Real Madrid 3-0 Borussia Dortmund (April 2, 2014) | Champions League, QF (1st leg)
Yellow card alert: Illarramendi
- RM’s 2+ goals in 10 straight Champions League matches equals an all-time record held by Sevilla.
- In Ronaldo’s 100th UCL match, he reaches 14 goals in one season, equalling a record held by 3 other players; he also has 49 overall goals in the competition (only behind Raúl with 66). He also continues an 11-game scoring streak.
- Pepe marks 50th UCL match milestone with a victory.
Next match: La Real (A) Saturday, 8 PM CEST | 2 PM EST
Training [+] | April 1, 2014
Yellow card alert: Illarramendi
Absences: Arbeloa, Jesé, Khedira, Marcelo (injury) | Di María (flu)
- Coentrão will be Marcelo’s replacement; Bale is not an option at LB.
- The system is fairly consistent. It’s the players who make up the difference.
- Ronaldo, who still carries that knock to the knee, is fine and all is forgotten about the whistling incident.
- Modrić compared Ronaldo’s relationship with the fans as a marriage: “There are good days and bad days, but the important thing is that they love each other.”
- Luka specified that his role as CM is to defend and attack. You can’t get by playing only one facet of football.
- 22 years since’ Juanito’s passing
- RM is the highest-scoring side (29 goals) to reach this stage of the UCL
- Ronaldo will celebrate his 100th UCL match and could tie a competition record of 14 goals (he has 13).
Kickoff vs Borussia Dortmund (H) is Wednesday, 8:45 PM CEST | 2:45 PM EST.
Quarters against Borussia Dortmund: “We haven’t forgotten what happened last season, but now we have a new side with a new mentality. They have the same side, albeit with a lot of injuries. We will give our all to make it through this tie”.
Season’s objectives: “To win the three titles and I think we can do so. We have am good side and a great squad to achieve it. Carlo has brought stability and that’s important”.
Chances of winning the Décima: “We have a few games to go yet before the final, but we’re getting close. We are doing well”.
Dream Champions League final: “Against PSG, because they’re a French side”
The BBC: “It’s easy to play with such players. They’re very good, quick and technical. I have a good understanding with them both on and off the pitch”.
Good personal run: “The key are minutes on the pitch. To play and gain confidence. This is thanks to hard work and a bit of fortune”.
Champions League debut: “It was with Lyon, and I scored, aged just 17. I’ve always liked the competition, ever since I was kid. To play in it gives me confidence”.
Real Madrid 3-4 Barcelona (March 23, 2014) | La Liga, MD 29
Yellow card alert: Ramos (red) and Di María (5) will miss MD 30 vs Sevilla.
- Benzema now 19th on club’s all-time goal scorer list
- The RFEF will analyze comments made by Ronaldo and Ramos after the clásico. Meetings are usually held on Wednesdays, meaning the same day RM plays Sevilla. Sanctions have normally been financial, not suspensions.
- The club will reportedly appeal Ramos’ red card.
Next match: Sevilla (A) - Wednesday, 10 PM CET | 5 PM EST