Atlético Madrid 2-2 Real Madrid (March 2, 2014) | La Liga, MD 26
- Benzema scored the fastest goal in the Madrid derby (134 seconds) since Nistelrooy in 2008.
- Bale/Benzema/Ronaldo = 72 goals ; 11/12 Benzema/Higuaín/Ronaldo (118 goals) = 78 at this point in the season
Next training: Wednesday
Next match: Levante (H) Sunday, 7 PM CET | 2 PM EST
Three practices were held between Wednesday’s Champions League match and the upcoming league encounter on Sunday. Wednesday’s starters remained indoors the following day for recovery but rejoined the rest of team on Friday and Saturday.
Yellow card alert: Ramos (9)
Absences: Khedira (injury)
Ancelotti press conference [+]
- Instead of thinking about the treble, his team is focused on Atleti.
- He wouldn’t divulge his starting XI, but everyone but Khedira is fit to play.
- Bale is regaining his fitness and Benzema is maintaining his good form. Alonso is important for his intelligence and ability to play in any system.
- Having the forwards pressure and winning the ball back has helped the team.
- Ancelotti gave an update on Khedira: he’s already running and will be back in Madrid in 15-20 days to start working with the team. Carletto is hopeful Sami can play before season’s end.
Schalke 04 (1-6) Real Madrid: Celebrations (February 26, 2014) | Champions League, Round of 16 (1st leg)
Schalke 04 (1-6) Real Madrid: Goals (February 26, 2014) | Champions League, Round of 16 (1st leg)
- Benzema - 13’ | 57’ (Ronaldo assist)
- Bale - 21’ (Benzema assist) | 69’ (Ramos assist)
- Ronaldo - 52’ (Bale assist) | 89’ (Benzema assist)
- The trio of Bale, Benzema and Ronaldo is responsible for 70 goals.
- RM becomes the first club to score 153 goals away from home in the Champions League.
- Worldwide media have their say in the goal fest.
- Ramos matches Hierro for 7th most appearances in the UCL with Real Madrid (68 matches).
Next match: Atleti (A) Sunday, 5 PM CET | 11 AM ET
Training [+] | February 24-25, 2014
Absences: Khedira (injury)
- Bale was confirmed as a starter, as well as Ronaldo, who Ancelotti said is “especially motivated” because of his two-week inactivity.
- A decision on which fullbacks will start hasn’t been made yet, but Ancelotti declared that Coentrão are Marcelo have both recovered from their knocks, so one of those will start at LB.
- Alonso discussed his role in Ancelotti’s midfield: “My role is more positional; I’ve dropped back and now play just in front of the back four. I have more responsibility and I have to cover both full-backs so that they can join the attack. But were are not limited to playing 4-3-3, we are quite flexible and have the players like Illarra, Luka and Di María… so we can change they system when necessary.”
- Although he’s gotten over his injury and in good shape, he said he’s “still working on his recovery.”
- According to Xabi, Ronaldo was frustrated not being able to play but is primed for Wednesday’s game.
- The perfect route to the Round of 16
- RM has scored in 21 consecutive away goals in the Champions League (42 goals in 11 wins, 6 draws, 4 losses).
- Ronaldo makes his return to competition since February 11.
- French paper Le Monde forced to pay RM €300,000 in damages for linking club to doping doctor
Kickoff vs Schalke (A) is Wednesday, 8:45 PM CET | 2:45 PM ET.
Raphaël Varane on Télefoot | February 23, 2014
TF: This [knee] injury was the first challenge of your career?
RV: It’s true that it was a halt, but it wasn’t a useless period. I’ve learned, my mind is stronger. I’ve learned how to handle complicated situations. It’ll serve me in the future. I know my body better. It can help me develop my career.
RV: I learn from Ramos, Pepe and Cristiano. I’m lucky… Arriving at 18 wasn’t easy but each time, inch by inch, I start to assert myself more and more.
TF: Cristiano told me that you’re a fantastic player.
RV: Coming from Cristiano Ronaldo, it’s an honor. Yes, I have a good relationship with him. I learn a lot from him. He’s a great player and professional.
[Rafa also revealed in the interview that the players like to tease Cristiano.]
TF: Who will be the World Cup’s top scorer?