Absences: Carvajal, Jesé, Khedira (injury)
- injury update: Carvajal could be back in time for Saturday’s league match.
- reminder: 2 sections of the Bernabéu will be closed for Tuesday’s UCL match.
- Zizou: Benzema knows he must score.
Kickoff vs Basel is Tuesday at 8:45 pm CEST | 2:45 pm EDT.
"The team was negative everywhere, it was horrible, we didn’t play well. We cannot let slip a 0-2 lead like that. We have to take the defeat on the chin and learn from today’s mistakes”. “Of course anything we can learn from is welcome. But this is not the attitude or the path to take. We are playing for a very important club and that is not the sort of example we want to give to the rest of the world. […] "We are all guilty, not just those in defence, because we all defend a corner. We have to fix it because what happened is not normal.” — Iker Casillas
"A lot of people are going to find it hard to sleep tonight because of us, and that’s not right. The club’s motto is to fight to the very end, and tonight we failed the shirt." — Pepe
Training | August 20-21, 2014
- Wednesday: nine of the starters against Atleti stayed indoors; Pepe split time exercising on the pitch alone and then in the gym.
Squad list | Absences: Jesé (injury)
- No starting XI given but Ronaldo could start
- The preferred midfield will be 3 CM.
- Di María and Khedira rejected new deals, but Di María also wants to leave; Khedira has not asked.
- Kroos talked to Sport Bild about punctuality, communication, and pressure at RM.
Kickoff vs Atleti is Friday, 10:30 pm CEST | 4:30 pm EDT.
Real Madrid 1-1 Atlético Madrid (August 19, 2014) | Supercopa, 1st leg
- James - 80’ (Benzema assist)
- James becomes the 1st Colombian to score for Real Madrid in club history.
- Real Madrid is the 1st club to score in 13 consecutive home Supecopa matches.
- In 15 of the last 20 Supercopa matches, the team that scores 1st wins the title.
- watch: RM’s 35 goals in the Supercopa
Next match: Supercopa vs Atleti (2nd leg away) Friday, 10:30 pm CEST | 4:30 pm EDT
Training | August 17, 2014
The team followed up their friendly loss to Fiorentina with a recovery session Sunday afternoon. A handful of players did not step out on the pitch — Benzema, Di María, Jesé, Ronaldo, and Varane.
Players with slight injury concerns — Modrić and Bale (back) and Pepe (calf), resumed normal training this afternoon. Luka had remained in Madrid, while Gareth and Pepe didn’t feature in Saturday’s friendly.
- Isco’s teammates greeted him with applause after the arrival of his newborn son.
Jesé continued his recovery, and Modrić stayed indoors because of back pain. Pepe trained alone, and Bale finished the session on his own.
Absences: Jesé, Modrić (injury) || Isco (expecting child’s birth)
- CA: Navas to start; players who returned late (Khedira, Marcelo, Di María) will get some minutes to improve fitness; Ronaldo may play a half; Bale (back) and Pepe (calf) won’t be risked today
- Nothing’s changed in regards to Khedira and Di María statuses; no more signings to be made this window
- Decision not made for which GK will start the Supercopa
- KN: teammates treating him well, although he’s closest to James because they’re staying in the same hotel
- After winning one title, he wants more.
- He’s at the coach’s disposal and is learning from Casillas to improve as a player.
- Assistant coach Clement tells Talk Sport he doesn’t think there will be much movement in the roster before the transfer window closes because the squad isn’t large (20 outfield, 3 keepers).
- Sales for this season’s away shirts have exceeded expectations; the women’s shirts are completely sold out at the El Carmen official store.
Kickoff vs Fiorentina is Saturday, 8:45 pm CEST | 2:45 pm EDT.