Training | April 22, 2014
Bale was able to complete Tuesday’s session. However, he hasn’t overcome his flu-like symptoms and is spending the night at home instead of the team residence.
Yellow card alert: Alonso, Illarra, Ramos
Absences: Arbeloa, Jesé, Khedira (injury)
- Marcelo isn’t 100%, so Coentrão will start. Ronaldo’s availability is a game-time decision. A physical exam will be carried out Wednesday to determine if he’s fit enough. Being used as a sub hasn’t been ruled out.
- Khedira’s recovery is coming along, and Ancelotti is confident that he’ll be playing before season’s end.
- Alonso is counting on support from the crowd to boost the squad Wednesday.
- He stresses working as a unit in both attack and defense. To him, possession is pointless if you aren’t effective.
- The only thing similar about Bayern and Barça is that Guardiola is coach. Alonso doesn’t think it’s worth making the comparison.
- watch: historic goals against Bayern [+]
- Regarding Bayern player availability, Neuer (calf) and Alaba (flu) are likely to play. Van Buyten (child birth) returned to Germany. Thiago (knee), Shaqiri (hamstring) and Starke (unspecified) are injured. Only Mandžukić is a card away from suspension.
Kickoff vs Bayern (H) is Wednesday, 8:45 PM CEST | 2:45 PM EDT.
Training | April 13, 2014
The big news of the day was the return of Sami Khedira. He made his first group training appearance since undergoing ACL surgery back in November. Both Marcelo and Sergio Ramos worked out individually on the practice pitch. Absent were Jesé, Arbeloa and Ronaldo, who are all recovering from injury.
- Benzema has overtaken Zidane as the Frenchman with the most official RM appearances (228).
- Wednesday’s Copa del Rey final will be the 7th between Real Madrid and Barcelona. Each side has won 3 a piece.
- According to Bild, RM sold 1.4 million replica shirts in 2013. Over 1 million of them belong to Cristiano Ronaldo, just under the number of Barcelona shirts combined (1.15 million).
- López puts to rest rumors about a move away from the club: “I have three years left on my contract and unless they kick me out –just joking, by the way -, I’m staying.”
- General public tickets for the UCL SF tie range from €70-900.
- AS reports that Ancelotti will have the entire team travel to Valencia Tuesday evening for the Copa final, including those injured. The only exception may be Jesé, who will need permission from his doctors.
Real Madrid 4-0 Almería (April 12, 2014) | La Liga, MD 33
- Di María - 28’ (Nacho assist)
- Bale - 53’ (Benzema assist)
- Isco 56’ (Benzema assist)
- Morata - 85’ (Illarra assist)
- Injury update: Despite Ramos’ neck/shoulder problem, Ancelotti believes he will be OK for the Copa final. However, Marcelo is likely ruled out.
- With 94 goals, Real Madrid is the top scoring club in Europe’s top leagues.
- López picks up his 15th league game without a conceded goal.
Next training: Sunday, 11 AM CEST
Next match: Copa del Rey vs Barcelona - Wednesday, 9:30 PM CEST | 3:30 PM EDT
Training | April 11, 2014
The squad completed their final pre-Almería session with a few absences. Alonso was given the day off. Marcelo trained indoors; the injured Khedira, Jesé and Ronaldo continued their own recoveries. Arbeloa stepped onto the training pitch for Ancelotti’s technical chat before exercising with the handbike.
Absences: Alonso, Carvajal (suspension) | Arbeloa, Jesé, Khedira, Marcelo, Ronaldo (injury)
- Marcelo, who wasn’t called up, should be back soon.
- key to the Dortmund loss was the missed penalty; there was too much criticism on the team
- “I heard that Klopp wanted the first leg on DVD so our performance in Madrid must have been worthy of an Oscar.”
- Illarra will replace Alonso (suspended) in the starting XI.
- on the UCL SF: “The Champions League draw is good because we’re in it. We’ll play against a difficult side, with individual and collective quality. Guardiola is one of the best coaches in the world and it is a side with a lot of experience. It will be a difficult game for us, but also for them too.”
- Casillas at Samsung event: “[Cristiano’s] a big miss. We can’t have him tomorrow and possibility not for the cup final either. We want him to get better as soon as possible.”
Kickoff vs Almería (H) is Saturday, 10 PM CEST | 4 PM EST.
Real Sociedad 0-4 Real Madrid (April 5, 2014) | La Liga, MD32
- Illarra - 45’
- Bale - 66’
- Pepe - 85’ (Ramos assist)
- Morata - 89’ (Di María assist)
Yellow card alert: Alonso and Carvajal will miss MD33 vs Almería.
- Bale left the game with a couple stitches in his knee.
- Ronaldo (28 + 8) and Bale (13 + 12) are 1st and 5th in the league with most goals + assists, respectively.
- Morata is the most effective player in La Liga ( a goal every 52 min.); Ronaldo is 3rd on the list (1/86).
Real Madrid 3-0 Borussia Dortmund (April 2, 2014) | Champions League, QF (1st leg)
Yellow card alert: Illarramendi
- RM’s 2+ goals in 10 straight Champions League matches equals an all-time record held by Sevilla.
- In Ronaldo’s 100th UCL match, he reaches 14 goals in one season, equalling a record held by 3 other players; he also has 49 overall goals in the competition (only behind Raúl with 66). He also continues an 11-game scoring streak.
- Pepe marks 50th UCL match milestone with a victory.
Next match: La Real (A) Saturday, 8 PM CEST | 2 PM EST
Sevilla 2-1 Real Madrid (March 26, 2014) | La Liga, MD 30
- Ronaldo - 14’
Yellow card alert: Alonso
- Ronaldo scores in 9th consecutive game for the 1st time in his career.
- For the 1st time in 5 seasons, RM loses 2 consecutive league games.
Next Match: Rayo Vallecano (H) Saturday, 10 PM CET | 5 PM EST
Training [+] | March 24-25, 2014
Absences: Arbeloa, Jesé, Khedira (injury) | Di María (suspension), Ramos (suspension pending appeal)
- It’s now time to look forward and focus on Sevilla.
- Ramos and Ronaldo were expressing their opinions, not being disrespectful.
- Ancelotti didn’t want to get dragged into referee talk for the Cup final.
- The club won’t report Busquets/Pepe incident, but Ancelotti made a point to note how it may have turned out differently if the tables were turned.
- Either Isco or Illarra will play for the suspended Di María.
- Ramos lost his red card appeal. The club will reportedly move on to the Appeals Committee, who meets Wednesday. If that fails, a last stop injunction could be filed to postpone the suspension so that Sergio can play against Sevilla. The club is claiming that he didn’t touch Neymar nor obstruct a goal scoring opportunity. [pdf]
- A garage fire in Jesé’s apartment complex injured three workmen, one in critical condition. Other RM players reportedly rushed to the scene. Jesé wasn’t harmed but will be staying with Arbeloa in the meantime.
Kickoff vs Sevilla (A) is Wednesday, 10 PM CET | 5 PM EST.
Pepe (allergy) and Benzema (thigh) made their returns for Thursday’s session. Di María (fever) sat out, and Ronaldo trained individually in the gym; they both were present Friday. The final practice of the week takes place Saturday morning.
- The UCL QF is set: RM vs Borussia Dortmund
- Ronaldo’s Herbalife promo [+]
- tentative schedule for end of March/April
- reliable kit leaker TSC has more images of the 14/15 home and away kits
Training | March 19, 2014
A recovery session was held Wednesday morning, following the previous night’s victory over Schalke 04. The outfield starters spent the day inside the training grounds, while the rest of the available players were split into groups.
Pepe had to leave because of an unspecified allergic reaction, although it doesn’t seem to be anything that would keep away from Sunday’s clásico. Neither Di María or Benzema stepped onto the practice pitch. The latter is still nursing a small knock to his thigh, but he isn’t experiencing any pain. The club holds onto the idea that he should be cleared to play this weekend, but there are only three more sessions remaining. The team returned to training Thursday morning.