Aug 25 | Córdoba (La Liga) | 2-0 (W)
Aug 22 | Atlético Madrid (Supercopa) | 1-0 (L)
Aug 19 | Atlético Madrid (Supercopa) | 1-1 (D)
Training | August 20-21, 2014
- Wednesday: nine of the starters against Atleti stayed indoors; Pepe split time exercising on the pitch alone and then in the gym.
Squad list | Absences: Jesé (injury)
- No starting XI given but Ronaldo could start
- The preferred midfield will be 3 CM.
- Di María and Khedira rejected new deals, but Di María also wants to leave; Khedira has not asked.
- Kroos talked to Sport Bild about punctuality, communication, and pressure at RM.
Kickoff vs Atleti is Friday, 10:30 pm CEST | 4:30 pm EDT.
Real Madrid 1-1 Atlético Madrid (August 19, 2014) | Supercopa, 1st leg
- James - 80’ (Benzema assist)
- James becomes the 1st Colombian to score for Real Madrid in club history.
- Real Madrid is the 1st club to score in 13 consecutive home Supecopa matches.
- In 15 of the last 20 Supercopa matches, the team that scores 1st wins the title.
- watch: RM’s 35 goals in the Supercopa
Next match: Supercopa vs Atleti (2nd leg away) Friday, 10:30 pm CEST | 4:30 pm EDT
Training | August 17, 2014
The team followed up their friendly loss to Fiorentina with a recovery session Sunday afternoon. A handful of players did not step out on the pitch — Benzema, Di María, Jesé, Ronaldo, and Varane.
Players with slight injury concerns — Modrić and Bale (back) and Pepe (calf), resumed normal training this afternoon. Luka had remained in Madrid, while Gareth and Pepe didn’t feature in Saturday’s friendly.
- Isco’s teammates greeted him with applause after the arrival of his newborn son.
Jesé continued his recovery, and Modrić stayed indoors because of back pain. Pepe trained alone, and Bale finished the session on his own.
Absences: Jesé, Modrić (injury) || Isco (expecting child’s birth)
- CA: Navas to start; players who returned late (Khedira, Marcelo, Di María) will get some minutes to improve fitness; Ronaldo may play a half; Bale (back) and Pepe (calf) won’t be risked today
- Nothing’s changed in regards to Khedira and Di María statuses; no more signings to be made this window
- Decision not made for which GK will start the Supercopa
- KN: teammates treating him well, although he’s closest to James because they’re staying in the same hotel
- After winning one title, he wants more.
- He’s at the coach’s disposal and is learning from Casillas to improve as a player.
- Assistant coach Clement tells Talk Sport he doesn’t think there will be much movement in the roster before the transfer window closes because the squad isn’t large (20 outfield, 3 keepers).
- Sales for this season’s away shirts have exceeded expectations; the women’s shirts are completely sold out at the El Carmen official store.
Kickoff vs Fiorentina is Saturday, 8:45 pm CEST | 2:45 pm EDT.
- Debuts for James and Kroos
- Kroos’ passing masterclass (96%)
- News reports from around the globe
- Casillas has lifted 9 trophies as captain of Real Madrid
- Ronaldo reaches 70 goals in club European competition — 2nd highest after Raúl (77)
- He has scored in all 4 of RM’s one-game finals (5 times)
- Benzema leads current RM players with assists to Ronaldo (23) in all competitions
- Ancelotti is 2nd coach to win 3 European Super Cups (once as a player)
- The UEFA Super Cup trophy is on display at the Bernabéu
- The prize for winning the Super Cup is reportedly €3 million.
Next match: Friendly vs Fiorentina - Saturday, 8:45 pm CEST | 2:45 pm EDT
Pepe and Seydou Keita | Real Madrid vs AS Roma (July 29, 2014)
The two were involved in an incident just prior to kickoff in Dallas. Keita was seen snubbing Pepe during the team handshakes. Cameras later captured what looks like Pepe retaliating by spitting at the Roma player, who then reacted by hurling a water bottle at him. After the game Seydou told RFI that the incident stemmed from a confrontation during the 2011 Supercopa.
from Marca -
"Back when I played for Barça he called me a macaque, i.e. a monkey. From that moment onwards, I’ve seen him as a good-for-nothing. I haven’t spoken about it in public before because it wasn’t worth it, but that’s why I didn’t want to shake his hand." Keita added that he had informed his teammate Mehdi Benatia of his intentions.
"It’s unacceptable for someone to spit at me. I really don’t see why I should have to shake his hand, since in his eyes I’m not a human being", the veteran railed.
"I have no interest in discussing things with a person who doesn’t consider me a human being. The way he behaves is out of order. Instead of coming over and asking me why I didn’t shake his hand, he chose to spit at me."