Training | December 6, 2013
In the last training before facing Olímpic Xàtiva, 21 players were put through their paces. The keepers trained under coach Vecchi, while the 17 outfielders did muscle-building exercises and rapid ball work. The injured Khedira, Coentrão and Varane (who remained indoors) followed their usual regimens.
Injury update: In today’s presser, Ancelotti told the media that Varane is working hard to recover from his knee injury and ought to be back by January. He’ll start training with the team on Wednesday. Ronaldo is fully fit and will play against Copenhagen on Tuesday. [+]
The mister addressed the Morata rumors and said the player is happy and will be staying. If at the end of the season he changes his mind, then the club will think about facilitating a loan move.
Alonso’s renewal, while important, isn’t a priority at the moment. The focus right now is finishing the rest of 2013 well. However, the club has talked to Xabi and Ancelotti believes the player will make a decision soon. In regards to Saturday’s game, Xabi is not called up because of the artificial turf they will play on. It’s best he not play on that type of surface.
No starting XI nods were given. Carletto acknowledged the quality of the younger players, who he has faith in. They’ve got nothing to prove; their chances will come. It’s just that they have the misfortune of competing against the likes of Ronaldo, Bale, Modrić, etc.
Squad list (18 players)
Absences: Coentrão, Khedira, Varane (injury) | Ronaldo (sanction) | Alonso (technical decision)
Four players represent Real Madrid on the 20-defender shortlist for the 2013 World XI."The 50,000 professional footballers belonging to the players’ unions across the world that form FIFPro received voting forms to nominate their peers in a secret ballot for inclusion in their World XI – choosing the best goalkeeper, four defenders, three midfielders and three forwards of 2013."
The subsequent shortlists will be announced as follows:
- December 3 - Goalkeepers || Iker Casillas
- December 4 - Defenders || Raphaël Varane, Sergio Ramos, Marcelo, Pepe
- December 6 - Midfielders
- December 9 - Forwards
Recipients will be revealed at the Ballon d’Or ceremony held in Zurich on January 13.
Training | November 28-29, 2013
Twelve outfield players practiced outdoors at Thursday’s training, while the rest of the fit players stayed indoors for gym work. The keepers trained with coach Vecchi. Coentrão, Khedira and Ronaldo continued their own recovery plans. [+]
Friday’s practice was the last of the week, where Ronaldo made his return to the group. Twenty-two players were on hand, and the injured players continued their recoveries. Training indoors was Varane. [+ • + • +]
Injury update: Khedira, who is still in Germany, was recently photographed with his leg in a cast. The photo was posted by national teammate Mario Gómez.
Ronaldo’s thigh niggle is fully recovered, as confirmed by Ancelotti. The imaging from his scan came back clear. However, the player isn’t yet comfortable with playing, so he wasn’t called up for the Valladolid game. It’s worth noting that the earliest he will play is December 10 (Copenhagen) or 14 (Osasuna), as he is suspended for the 1st leg of the Copa del Rey.
Absences: Arbeloa (suspension) | Coentrão, Khedira, Ronaldo, Varane (injury)
Kickoff for Valladolid (H) is Saturday, 8 PM CET | 2 PM ET.
- Audi 13/14 miscellanea: Quotes - Pérez | Ramos | Bale || media master post
- Ramos shoots down rumors
- Ronaldo in new Bimbo promo
- Isco, subject of new bookOff topic but noteworthy - Due to an overwhelming workload and financial strain, the two people behind madridismo.org have made the decision to stop. This duo is responsible for the full video footage of RM trainings, press conferences and mixed zone interviews. They have also provided photos of these events on their website. If you’re inclined, please send them words of appreciation for their hard work over the last year.
Training [+] | November 25, 2013
Injury update: It’s been widely reported that Ronaldo will not feature against Gala, due to the thigh niggle he picked up last weekend. He ought to be fine for Valladolid, but nothing is set in stone.
Marca reports Marcelo may be rested until this weekend’s game, since Arbeloa is suspended and Coentrão is still unfit. There is a growing concern for Varane’s inflamed knee. El Confidencial suggests that another surgery could be necessary.
- Alonso turns 32
- 2012/2013 LFP Awards candidates: Ronaldo (Best Forward), Ramos (Best Defender), Isco (Best Attacking Midfielder), Illarra (Best Midfielder and Revelation Player), Jesé (Best Forward and Revelation Player for Liga Adelante)
- Ancelotti talks to The Times
- López given 2013 Vieira Plata Award
- The tribute to Ronaldo for Wednesday’s game will go on
The last session before facing Gala included Alonso’s and Bale’s returns. Varane trained indoors, while the injured Coentrão, Khedira and Ronaldo continued their specific recoveries.
Injury update: As confirmed by Ancelotti, Varane will not need surgery for his knee. Instead, the player will spend an additional 10-12 days resting it. Ronaldo will not face Galatasaray because of a thigh strain. He will restart training tomorrow but is confident he’ll be fit for Saturday’s league game.
Absences: Coentrão, Khedira, Ronaldo, Varane (injury) | Modrić (suspension)
Ancelotti and Marcelo address press [+] -
Marcelo [+ • + • +] - He has made a full recovery and is more confident. Showing his irritation with reports that there was a rift between him and Ronaldo, he told a reporter: ”When I was with Brazil a journalist asked if Iker deserved the Ballon d’Or and I said yes. From then on journalists created a big fuss about me and Cristiano Ronaldo, but our relationship is very good.”
- Pepe is expecting as well (Casillas, Ramos, Alonso)
- Images of the Ronaldo tribute
- Ronaldo wins Marca’s Di Stéfano award for the league’s POTY
- The team will travel to Qatar on New Year’s Day for PSG friendly; will only have about 7 days off for the Christmas break
- Annual Audi car event set for Thursday
- Rumor: Morata loan to Tottenham heating up
Almería 0-5 Real Madrid | La Liga (MD 14)
- Ronaldo - 3’ (Isco assist)
- Benzema - 61’ (Jesé assist)
- Bale - 72’
- Isco - 75’ (Jesé assist)
- Morata - 81’ (Casemiro assist)
Yellow card alert: Arbeloa suspended vs Valladolid (H)
- RM reaches 54 official goals this season in 18 games — the fastest any of Ancelotti’s clubs has broken 50
- Ronaldo ties Di Stéfano with 71 league away goals for the club, now only trailing Raúl (87)
- He is also RM’s 4th highest scorer in La Liga, tying Hugo Sánchez with 164 goals
- In his 200th game for RM, Benzema scores his 96th goal and cracks the Top 20 of the club’s scorers
- For the 1st time in 15 years, RM has 5 different goal scorers
- Not since 2005 has RM played with 9 Spaniards at the same time
- Alonso and Pepe commemorated their 250th and 150th league games, respectively
Next game: UCL - Galatasaray (H), Wednesday at 8:45 PM CET | 2:45 PM ET
The last session before La Real saw the returns of Pepe and Ronaldo. Coentrão was absent again. While 23 players were on hand, both Khedira (leg) and Marcelo (knee) picked up injuries during training.
Khedira experienced some discomfort but was included in Ancelotti’s squad list. Marcelo was diagnosed with traumatic arthritis in his left knee. The club’s medical staff didn’t disclose a return date, but El Mundo, AS and Marca all report an estimated two-week layoff. While the injury isn’t good news, the timing could have been worse. The international break follows Saturday’s league clash, and the team won’t return to action until November 23.
Although there has been no confirmation on Marcelo’s time out, coverage shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Coentrão was called up for Portugal’s World Cup qualifiers, so he ought to be just fine for the next league game.
Following training Carlo Ancelotti spoke to the media. Among other things, he divulged that he had a starting XI in mind but only confirmed the appearance of Alonso. Rotations will continue due to the large number of games left. He also reiterated his goalkeeping policy. “The decision has been made. At the time Diego López was in better condition. Iker also was very clear after the match in Turin. He would like to stay here and it’s not an issue. We want him to stay and he wants to stay.”
Absences: Ramos (suspension) | Coentrão, Marcelo (injury)
Yellow card alert: Khedira (4)
Kickoff vs Real Sociedad (H) is Saturday at 4 PM CET | 10 AM ET.
- Copa del Rey draw announced
- Xàtiva’s president erupts with cheer when tie was announced; their players, too
- International call-ups
- Saudi Telecom Company event (players were caught being distracted) [+ • + • +]
- Madrid Football Federation awards Alonso, Carvajal and Morata at gala
- In a poll done by AIMC, RM has the most fans in Spain (23.8%) but is 2nd to Barça in number of shirts sold
Injury update: Ronaldo and Pepe returned to full training. Ancelotti stated Cristiano should be fine for La Real. However, Marcelo (knee) and Khedira (leg) had problems in training. They will take a wait-and-see approach with the two.
Also, the coach confirmed Alonso will start tomorrow. Both Isco, who has been rested as of late, and Di María are fit to play. When asked about Casillas, Ancelotti said that Iker wants to stay and that the club does as well. Regarding Casemiro, Carlo admitted that he’s spoken to the player about the difficulty getting minutes but assured that he’ll get a chance to play.
Training | November 7, 2013
Ancelotti trained with 21 players Thursday. Ronaldo & Pepe worked indoors. It was reported that Cristiano had an issue with one of his toes, although it’s nothing to be concerned about. Coentrão was still in the sick bay.
Friday’s training is taking place at the Bernabéu.
Four players participated in a Sanitas clinic with 30 invitees. After the training Casemiro, Carvajal, Illarra and Modrić signed autographs and posed for photos.
- Ancelotti interviewed by Al Primer Toque: Ronaldo deserves the Ballon d’Or, Ramos may/may not play as a FB again, and calls Alonso “The Professor”
- Ancelotti is also the highest paid coach in La Liga, earning €7.5 million
- The Copa del Rey draw for the last 32 takes place Friday at 1 PM CET. RM will play away sometime between December 6-8 and at home on December 18
- RM and Saudi Telecom Company renew their sponsorship contract