Real Madrid 5-1 Basel (September 16, 2014) | Champions League, GS1
- Suchy - 14’ og
- Bale - 30’ (Modrić assist)
- Ronaldo - 31’ (Bale assist)
- James - 36’
- Benzema - 79’ (Ronaldo assist)
- Casillas is 1st RM player to spend 16 seasons in the European Cup.
- Pérez presented Casillas with Cibeles replica for his 15th year with the 1st team
- Ronaldo is the 2nd highest goal scorer in the UCL (68) ; he is only behind Raúl (71).
Next match: La Liga - Deportivo (A) Saturday, 4 pm CEST | 10 am EDT
“Whistles at Casillas? I’m not going to get into a debate. That’d be stupid. The club is above all. We focus on what we need to do. Iker can handle this. He knows that not everyone likes him. He’s not a robot and it’s normal that this affects him. As a madridista, teammate and friend I couldn’t blame him and I won’t.” — Sergio Ramos
All of the international players were back in training, minus Marcelo, Bale, and Modrić. Ramos, who had spent the previous day indoors, rejoined the group.
- El Clásico (MD9) has a date: October 25 at 6 pm CEST.
- Ancelotti interviewed by Il Giornale
- James named Sexiest Man of 2014 by People en Español
Real Madrid on international duty: goals | September 2014
Training | September 8-9, 2014
- Tuesday: Many of the internationals returned to training; Ramos, Jesé, and Carvajal trained in the gym. Ronaldo worked with the group.
- Jesé will return in October or November; he’s begun low intensity exercises (short passing and jogging) on the pitch.
- The European Club Association (ECA) awarded Real Madrid with the European Club of the Year and Best Community & Social Responsibility Programme honors.
- Khedira reportedly remaining in Germany for the time being to begin recovery for his thigh.
- Kroos interviewed by Bild
- MD8 kickoff rescheduled for October 18, 4 pm CEST
- Modrić turns 29.
"The team was negative everywhere, it was horrible, we didn’t play well. We cannot let slip a 0-2 lead like that. We have to take the defeat on the chin and learn from today’s mistakes”. “Of course anything we can learn from is welcome. But this is not the attitude or the path to take. We are playing for a very important club and that is not the sort of example we want to give to the rest of the world. […] "We are all guilty, not just those in defence, because we all defend a corner. We have to fix it because what happened is not normal.” — Iker Casillas
"A lot of people are going to find it hard to sleep tonight because of us, and that’s not right. The club’s motto is to fight to the very end, and tonight we failed the shirt." — Pepe